Thursday, September 9, 2010

On Becoming a Chicano

My identity is somewhat complicated I am Mexican, Caucasian,and Italian. Some struggles I dealt with is denying  that I am Mexican because where i live there are not really any ethnicity. I remember going into a small town in Iowa during the summer I was very tan and dark wearing a gold necklace at the time and having my ears pierced at the time I received many strange looks in the gas station the clerk was watching every movement I made as if  would steal something.
I think the experiences Rodriguez and myself  had some similarity, but I did not ever learn Spanish because my grandmother on my mom's side discouraged using the language like it was some type of blight. I sometimes wish I grew up with learning Spanish because whenever I go into some place with Mexicans and they talk in Spanish I feel out of place because I can't respond back. But I'm sure I'm not the only person that feels out of place when someone walks into a room with people they don't know everyone judges one another by looks,race, or sex.I think this happens because of our instincts to protect yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris,

    You write,

    "I think the experiences Rodriguez and myself had some similarity, but I did not ever learn Spanish because my grandmother on my mom's side discouraged using the language like it was some type of blight. I sometimes wish I grew up with learning Spanish because whenever I go into some place with Mexicans and they talk in Spanish I feel out of place because I can't respond back."

    I like that you have included this similarity. It isn't always easy to talk about. How did this make you feel? Why do you think your Grandmother discouraged the language?

    ReplyDelete