Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Lonely, Good Company of Books

My relationship with books are not the greatest. I don't find many books that attract my attention. But when I do I become infatuated with the book, I did this with Lord of the Rings I found it was not a story about the ring and Frodo. But it was also about Aragorn and his fear being consumed by the power of being king. My experience on becoming a reader started with Narnia and Harry Potter. These books gave me interest into books, history to gain a personal understanding. Also these books made me realize I never read to just read like Rodriguez did, I try to gain some type of knowledge or personal gain from a book. If I were to read Plato's "The Republic" I would not just read it to say that I read it. Instead I would read it understand it and remember some philosophies Plato and maybe have a conversation or explain "The Republic" to someone. Comprehension to me is the key thing I aim for when reading if I were not to understand the book or text I may not read it or research it in depth. I am currently doing this with Norse/Pagan mythology for a research paper most of the books are older than dirt so it take allot of analyzing and comprehension to explain what the Norse faith was like.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,

    I really like the connection you make with Rodriguez. It doesn't matter that you have a contrasting experience. It is because you disagree with him, but you provide support for your point. Kudos!

    What is it about the Harry Potter series that you enjoy? Have you read the entire series? I'm very happy with it. My purpose for reading this series is to escape the realities of my life - to live in a magical world where magical things appear.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I like about the Harry Potter series was the magic,and magical creatures. Sadly I stopped reading the series at the fourth book, which I think was the Goblet of Fire. I also like the Harry Potter movies very fun to watch with friends.

    ReplyDelete