Monday, November 1, 2010

Reflection of Task Three and Contemplating

I'm having some trouble starting on task three. I'm not sure why maybe I'm not motivated, stressed and I seem to can't make any connections with anything. "America needs Its Nerds" by Leonid Fridman seems like something I could write about. I think it's interesting how he talks about American society and it's problems. How sport professional's are paid more than teachers,scientist's etc. I might be able to relate to this when I was in high school "jock's" looked to me for answers in class. Although I was never called Nerd or Geek I do play lots of video games and I'm very good at them. Also the term geek and nerd has expanded to people who play video games like World of Warcraft, but if you play a game like Halo you're not considered much of a nerd unless you are ranked Lt. Colonel. This is my way of having fun and not going to parties with alcohol, sex, and drugs. Video games, and board games are being annexed by society also how it's a bad influence. Kids become obsessed with the game's but is it really because of video games or something more like social life?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris,

    I think that using "America Needs Its Nerds" by Leonid Fridman is a great idea. While you don't associate yourself as a nerd, how would you classify yourself? What did your school value more: academics and/or sports? Answering this question may provide some insight into writing Task Three. If your school values sports over academics, what did this mean for you as a student? Were athletes put above you (e.g. were they given extensions or received special treatment because they were athletes)?

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete